With our new Philanthropy Now podcast series, we explore trends in the world of philanthropy, social impact initiatives in Silicon Valley and beyond, and look at how SVCF promotes innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems.
Episode 3 of the Philanthropy Now podcast features Manuel Santamaria, our vice president of special initiatives and grantmaking. In the first half of the episode, Manuel describes the grantmaking process that has served SVCF well over the past 10 years. He outlines the four "buckets" we aim to serve - economic security, building strong communities, education and immigration. Manuel also talks about how the grantmaking process is going to change in light of our milestone 10th anniversary.
Manuel then welcomes Valerie Cuevas to talk about the special anniversary grants we will be awarding throughout the year. Valerie is a senior program officer and the leader of our 10-year anniversary grantmaking initiative. Valerie talks about why we're focusing on innovative ideas with our anniversary grants, and puts out the call to anyone with a big idea to apply for one. We pride ourselves on supporting organizations that impact the community in a positive manner by thinking outside the box, and these grants carry on that tradition.
What you will learn:
- How our current grantmaking strategies have helped us have a major impact in the last decade
- Why the widening income disparity in Silicon Valley is a community issue we're working hard to address
- How skyrocketing housing costs are contributing to road congestion and pollution in Silicon Valley
- How you and your organization can apply for one of our special 2017 anniversary grants - up to 10 grants of $100,000!
- The four critical questions we want you to ask yourself about your big idea